Training within the Department of Telecommunications
- The institute is the focal point of training activities for technical
cadre within the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of
Communications & IT, Govt. of India and is responsible for
identification of suitable training programmes, regulation of nominations
of trainees and preparation of the Annual Training Calendar.
- Training needs of Indian Telecommunication Service (ITS) Group "A" and
Group "B" officers: NTI conducts induction training of ITS probationers.
After recruitment through UPSC Engineering Service Examination the officers
undergo a year of professional training at NTI. At NTI, they are trained in
Telecom technologies, Telecom Enforcement & Resource monitoring,
Licensing, Standards development and other office procedures. In between
the classroom training schedules, the officers are deputed for on job field
- Regular In-service Training for Group "A" and Group "B" Officers: NTI
regularly organizes In-service trainings, workshop, conference etc. for
serving Group "A" and Group "B" Officers on contemporary needs. Such
regular trainings aim to sharpen the skill of officers in their core area
of work. About 16 to 20 such courses are being organized by NTI in a year
Other scope of work and activities
- Extend training support to intelligence agencies & Law enforcing
agencies on advancements in telecom & ICT
- Commission in house Studies and Outsourced studies for specific areas of
concern such as impact of policy implementations, economic and
environmental benefits of technology, technology forecasts, security
- Promoting fundamental research in telecom sector through funding to and
collaboration with educational institutions.
- To have joint collaboration with other institutions/research labs, in
India and abroad.
- To harness the full potential of expertise available with existing
universities, colleges, laboratories and institutions in India or abroad in
order to network and complement infrastructural and faculty resources. The
institute can make available its live telecom labs such as NGN/IPv6 etc. to
research scholars enrolled with various central universities for their
research work. It is worth noting that presently such labs may not be
available with any academic institute engaged in research.
- To have joint collaboration with Telecom Technology management &
security Authorities in India and other parts of World.
- Study of international best practices in telecom security and be a think
tank for working out India specific models & technical solutions for
countering misuse of telecom in terrorism.
- To actively participate/contribute in all spheres of telecom technology
with similar other International organizations.
- To carry out the coordination role for synergizing the efforts made by
various public and private bodies engaged in telecom & ICT research and
- Facilitate development of core competence in telecom IPRs and
facilitating government in decision making.
- Promoting green technologies in Telecom.
- Policy research for providing inputs to DoT and other ministries in areas
- To undertake application research for sustainable growth of Indian
- To carry out consultancy/project works from industry, academic
institutions and government organizations within India and abroad in all
matters concerning telecom technology planning and management.
- To publish research/white papers and reports on research/analysis
- Issue consultation papers to consolidate the views of different
stakeholders and give recommendations to government bodies.
- To provide a platform for encouraging cross industry cooperation and